Isolation of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from burn centers and evaluation of antimicrobial efficacy, in Faisalabad, Pakistan

Sadaf Pervaz 1
1 Institute of Microbiology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.

 

ABSTRACT

Objectives: The present study was conducted for the detection of MRSA infections in burn wards and for evaluation of different antibiotics efficacy.

Methods: A total of 100 samples were collected from burn ward of Allied hospital Faisalabad, Pakistan. Then all samples were cultured on Mannitol salt agar, S-110 agar and then selective biochemical tests were performed. Antibiotic sensitivity was checked by using different beta-lactam antibiotics including methicillin, and vancomycin, linezolid, amoxicillin along with clavulanic acid (ESBL inhibitor) and some others, according to criteria of Clinical Laboratory Standard Institute (CLSI), to find out better antimicrobial therapy for burn patients.

Results: A total of 28 (66.66%) isolates of MRSA were detected and remaining 14 (33.33%) were MSSA, out of 42 isolates of S. aureus. The results showed that highest risk of MRSA prevalence was associated with burn patients and had a percentage positivity of 66.66% among burn patients of Allied hospital, Faisalabad.

Conclusion: It was observed that maximum resistance was found against beta-lactam drugs especially oxacillin (98%), but maximum level of sensitivity was observed against linezolid (95%) and vancomycin (99.99%), means that, these are more effective drugs for the treatment therapy of burn patients.